Tuesday, September 10, 2013

Graffiti Knit

Graffiti Knit
August 31, 2013

My gran taught me how to knit when I was only a few years old.  I was so young that I don't remember learning, so to me, I've just always known how.   She was so talented and I'm so happy that she gave me knitting.  It's something that I do almost every day.  It's calming and makes me feel close to her.

In the spring I completed my level one knitting instructor certification, which was pretty cool.  Want to learn?  I can teach you.  :)
Pre-graffiti'd pole

I'm also an avid yogi and I love my studio, so a pole right outside of it seemed like the perfect spot to hit.  I started this project in April, finished in May and then let it sit on my knitting shelf for a few months.  Of course, it really pulled at me.  I hate the feeling of needing to get things done. 

Finally, on Saturday August 31st, I woke up with some motivation.  It was a great time to do it, because there were a lot of class cancellations that weekend (being a long weekend), so there weren't many people around to see me. 

I parked my car right next to the pole, rolled down my window, blasted the Cat Empire and got started. 

Part way through
There were a few people around, but not many walked past me.  I figured that someone would stop and ask what I was doing, or just want to chat.  I'd be all over that if I saw someone attaching yarn to anything!

About ten minutes into sewing, a car pulled up beside me.  I got excited to chat.  They asked for directions.  REALLY?  DON'T YOU SEE THAT I'M ATTACHING 5 FEET OF YARN TO A POLE?  Apparently not, because it was completely unmentioned.  Odd.

Sewing is my least favorite part of knitting, but I really enjoyed being out in the sun, doing something that would hopefully make others smile.  Attaching it took about an hour.

The finished pole
This seems like one of the more laid back, less exciting things on my list, but I got a real thrill out of it!  Afterwards, I ran a few errands.  While out in public, I felt like I had this great secret!  I had just done something really cool and I wanted to tell everyone, but isn't part of graffiti not getting caught?  Of course, it's not the same, but still... I'm feeling a little badass over here.

A few days later, the yoga studio posted a picture about it on facebook.  They loved it!  It got over 70 likes and a bunch of comments on it.  How cool!

For now, they don't know it was me.  Let's let this be our little secret, okay?




Want to see more graffiti knitting?  Check out these pictures:

http://goo.gl/xGoG7C

1 comment: