Wednesday, February 26, 2014

Pay for a Stranger's Meal

Pay for a Stranger's Meal at a Restaurant
February 10, 2014

As with pretty much everyone, I didn't have a lot of money in my early 20's.  Chris and I would go out for supper, even when it was stretching our budget, and talk about winning the lotto.  We always said that we would want to pay for things for strangers: meals, gas, etc.  We knew how incredible it would be for that to happen to us; it was a given that we would try to help someone else.  Maybe we could help someone who really needed it.

I had an idea in my mind of exactly what our strangers would be like before I started looking for them.  They would be a few years younger than us, in a long term relationship, tight on cash but still wanting to treat each other.  This is exactly what we were.

Chris and I go on a lot of dates, which I think it important and I figured that we would find this couple pretty easily without searching. 

A few months ago we were at the Keg, talking about my list.  Chris noticed the couple at the table next to us.  Their meals were basic, no appetizers or wine/alcohol, etc.  They were very much in love and seemed like they were treating each other to a special night out.  They were perfect... except they didn't exactly fit the idea I had in my mind, so I hesitated. 

We watched them share a dessert and then pay for their meal with a gift card.  I watched the perfect opportunity slip by me. 

What a silly thing to do.  They were perfect and I couldn't see it because I got hung up on a small detail that didn't matter.  I kicked myself afterwards and for the next couple of months.

As my time became more limited, I started looking more seriously, but anytime we were out, the other restaurant guests seemed to be quite well off. 

I decided that we had to narrow our search to the 17th Ave area.  This is where we lived when we were younger and I expected to find the right people there.  It's a lively area, and perfect for people in their 20's.  Chris had the great idea of going to Chianti's on their cheap pasta night.  This would draw out people looking to save a buck but still have a nice date.

When we arrived, we walked through the back door, through the restaurant to the front hostess stand.  There were only about 5 tables in the restaurant, but 1 of them looked perfect.

We were seated around the corner from them and couldn't see them.  I decided to walk around near them as if I was going out to the car for a moment, to be sure.  Yes, they were the right choice.

I told the server what I wanted to do.  She didn't seem to understand at first, so we kept mentioning it.
Near the end of our pasta, our server told us that the other table had asked for their bill.  She brought it over and I scribbled out the price and wrote them a note.  We asked to remain anonymous.


A couple of minutes after the bill had been dropped off, I walked past again, pretending to go to the washroom.  A couple of servers as well as another group of people that was about to leave was standing watching the scene.  They were all touched, except for the couple, who seemed confused.

I went into the washroom and heard them walk past, talking.  They sounded negative and the guy said, "Do you think we look that desolate?".  She said no, but that really struck me.

I didn't want them to think they looked poor!  I didn't think they were poor.

Heading back to the table, I had mixed feelings.  Doing something positive for someone had left a negative taste in my mouth.

Chris and I talked it out and he said that maybe they are really down on their luck.  Maybe the guy said the word "desolate" because that's how he really felt.  Maybe they needed this more than we could ever know.  Maybe we brought them a small piece of sunshine at a very dim time in their lives.  Or maybe not.  

Either way, I know that we did something great for someone else.  It's just too bad that more people don't do nice things for each other.  Maybe then it would be easier to accept when strangers do nice things for each other. 


   


No comments:

Post a Comment