Friday, May 31, 2013

Preparation for the Alzheimer's Walk

I've often considered taking part in the Alzheimer's Marathon in the past.  The trouble is that I really don't like running.  Like really a lot!

However, they have a 5km walk option, so this was an easy item to add to my list.

A couple of days ago, I signed up for the walk and started a team with my two friends, Kristi & Jenn.  Both girls have participated in the past and I'm really looking forward to the day with them.

I am very lucky to have the grandparents that I do!  They've all passed, but I have amazing memories of all of them, who were very active in my life.
My grandpa was an incredible man.  I had a lot of cousins on that side and he always made every one of us feel special.
Sadly, he was affected by Alzheimer's and eventually died of complications to it.  I was young and missed out on so many great years that we could have had together, if it weren't for this awful disease. It continued to affect our family in so many ways after his passing.


Alzheimer's is often passed down through genetics and I'm worried about the future.

Luckily, scientists have made some great discoveries about Alzheimer's in the past few years.  They're not there yet, but it's possible that a cure could be found in our lifetimes.  This is so exciting!

So, the long and the short of it is this: please help me by supporting to this cause. 

http://thanksgivingmemorywalkrun.kintera.org/alzheimercalgary/lindsaysmallwood

Thanks!


No comments:

Post a Comment