Thursday, January 9, 2014

Skate on Olympic Plaza

Skate on Olympic Plaza
December 30, 2013

I roller blade a bit, but I don't remember the last time I went skating.  My dad is a hockey master, so he would take me skating when I was a kid.

Olympic Plaza is located right downtown and it's beautiful in the winter.  They have a zamboni and the ice is kept cold by a refrigeration system, so you can always skate in the winter months, even on warmer days.  They decorate the area with lights and it's really pretty.

I've walked and driven by this site so many times, but never took the time to explore it.

My husband, Chris, and I planned a nice date day, which started with a skate.  First we went to Rapid Rental and rented skates at a great rate. Poor Chris' skates were too big, but it was the closest size they had in stock, so he made do.

We drove downtown, parked and walked over to the rink.  It was stinking cold out, but we bundled up, so it wasn't too bad. 

The zamboni was on the ice when we got there, so the ice was all ready as soon as we were finished putting our skates on.  Perfect timing!  There were about 25 other people there, so it wasn't crowded at all.

I thought I would feel pretty comfortable, but I was so wrong!  Skating is not like riding a bike.  I was slow and a bit wobbly.  I tried to remember the things my dad told me when I was a kid.  I really concentrated on straightening out my ankles, which helped.  Thanks feather!  

After a few laps I started to feel better and got a bit faster, but was still on the slow side.  That's alright!  It takes practice. 

Soon there were only about 10 other people on the ice. We had been skating counter clockwise and decided to turn around and do laps in the opposite direction.  Almost immediately, everyone else on the ice turned around, too.  That was pretty neat!

We stayed for about an hour.  When we were finished, I didn't want to stop skating, but it was so cold we had to go.  It had been snowing the whole time.

We went for a tea and then a nice massage downtown.  What a great date!

But really, I'm not surprised.  I love that man!



No comments:

Post a Comment